Ecologia biopiles use a vacuum-induced static aerated system, which is particularly effective for hydrocarbon contaminated soils and has significant advantages over the windrows-based system.
- Contaminated soils are excavated prior to treatment and placed in specially designed biopiles
- Nutrients, aeration and water are applied and monitored.
Advantages of this technique include:
- Ease of calculation of soil volumes
- Ease of application, with reduced time, space requirements and costs
- Ability to monitor and control volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Ecologia has been one of the first companies in the UK to use ex-situ bioremediation at a former colliery at Askern near Doncaster in 2002. The work was presented in CL:AIRE Technology Demonstration Project Report TDP12.